Thursday, July 5, 2012

Weekend 2: Cocoa Plantation

Even without a life-long love of chocolate, the cocoa plantation would have been super cool. But given how much I love chocolate....going tot the cocoa plantation was one of the best things I've ever done. I've had 70% cacao bars at home, but I've officially had 100% dark chocolate! I also have a basic understanding of how chocolate is made: cocoa beans are grown in yellow pods (you can actually eat the fruit--it's very tasty!); cocoa harvesters remove the center of these pods and let the fruit ferment in plantain leaves for a week; after a week, the harvesters remove the placenta (name for the center of the fruit) and let the cocoa beans dry out; finally, the beans are sent to the grinders to be processed into cocoa powder! Ghana is known for their cocoa, and this plantation was the first cocoa plantation in Ghana. Accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment