Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Food Part 2

 An upside to my subpar kitchen situation is that I have eaten out a lot! Eating out has been very exciting because there is always a new place to try. The first week I was here, I was not very adventurous in terms of Ghanaian food (even though I thought I was by eating fruit and chicken/rice). Since the first week, however, I've tried just about every type of Ghanian food there is. My favorite is red red, a mixture of red beans and plantains (above). I've also had okra soup, groundnut soup, light sou, fufu (a corn maize ball), banku (a fermented corn maize ball), spiced fish and rice, and a variety of street-foody snacks. Plantain chips and fried shortbread squares are my favorite. Tilapia, a fish you find everywhere, was on my list of things to try since day one. I finally had it last weekend! They serve it to you just as they caught it (minus the being grilled part...), and you eat around the scales with your fingers.

In terms of less cultural foods, there are a lot of great good places here in Accra. Earlier in the week, I had the best pad thai I have had in my entire life. I've also eaten a lot at a smoothie place called NourishLab. Some of my favorite smoothies from there include: avocado & honey, strawberry, mango & ginger, and--get ready--the Trojan Muscle smoothie. A bit of a ridiculous name.....but very tasty! Peanut butter, banana, and pineapple. I've also eaten a lot of Indian food. Ironically, the two Indian places that I have been to have both been situated out of the way behind the same type of gas station. The last place worth mentioning for now is a gelato shop conveniently situated on my walk home from work. I had an amazing bowl of chocolate swirl and cookie gelato last week. I also sampled sesame seed gelato and mint berry gelato, both surprisingly good!

No comments:

Post a Comment